Saturday, July 11, 2009

Anticipation


Starting tomorrow I will be manning the Moby Dickens' book concession for the Taos Writers Conference. I look forward to being in the melee of great writers and serious students of writing. This year the conference hosts Wally Lamb as the keynote speaker and Robert Boswell, who just received the Oprah book pick, and who also wrote the great book on writing Half Known World. Elizabeth Strout will also give a week long workshop. I couldn't put her Pulitzer Prize winning Olive Kitteridge down. It is a wonderful book in character study and development. One way writers learn is to read, read, read! I look forward to telling you all about my experiences next week.
This week I submitted my first 20,000 pages to my teacher/editor Elizabeth Stark! I love the "super red marks," her commits, and encouragement. What a joy it is to be a writer & to let one's imagination run with the story! Oh, I also just finished the ARC (Advanced Reader's Copy) of Margaret Atwood's forthcoming The Year of the Flood. A real page turner, mesmerizing and page turning! Look out for it in September. What are you reading, and how is it informing your life and/or creativity?

No comments: