Sunday, May 3, 2009

An Inspired Adventure


Untitled
Ed Corbett

Today I went to the Harwood Museum here in Taos to see the Ed Corbett drawings. It was closed. Then, serendipity stepped in. A woman asked what I was there for as they were closed due to filming upstairs. "I just want to see the Ed Corbett drawings," I said. She let me in, and we tiptoed through the small, eye-popping exhibit. I'd only ever seen Ed's paintings, so his drawings, especially the pen and ink were informative, a surprise, and an inspiration. I vowed last week to put an edge in my own paintings & drawings. Ed's drawings are pointing the way. His drawings are different from his paintings, and just as powerful. His art deserves to be more well-known. He's a painter's painter, and he taught with and inspired Richard Diebenkorn, Clyfford Still, and Mark Rothko. He deeply inspired my own art teacher Fred Reichman.
I also reached a milestone by finishing the first revision of my novel. I hope this week is one of your most inspired ever!

No comments: