Sunday, May 17, 2009

Life's Little Gifts


"Spirit ", Audio CD by Willie Nelson

I'm chuckling to myself as I was, I admit, a bit whingy last week. Then, this week, I had a couple of my day jobs canceled, and had extra time to work on my latest painting, which is a challenge, both technically & emotionally, a challenge like being a dectective to solve a mystery. Well, that time is a gift. I used it as well, to clear old stuff out of my studio and to study deeply how I'm going to make the next revision of my novel as great as I can (I'm reading Donald Maass' Writing the Breakout Novel ~ GOOD).
Oh, another gift: I was getting a coffee at my favorite coffee stand in Taos, Roosters, & Jack had wonderful music playing that touched my soul, a cross between blue grass & jazz (e.g. Django Reinhart) ~ so lyrical. It was a little know album of Willie Nelson's, "Spirit". I found the CD on-line for very little & the music is still touching me! It even encouraged me to play my piano a bit!!
Time is precious, perhaps the most precious thing we have. I keep myself very busy, so I hope I'm not squandering time. Yet, as I'm somewhere in the last 1/2 century of my life, I wish I had more time to paint all the paintings in my soul, write all the books in my head & files, and give all the time I wish to my loved ones. Today, I received a photo of a former student of mine. I was happy to have the gift of 5 minutes to e-mail her and her mother! Now, I'm off to the studio to solve the next challenge in that painting. I hope your week was full of precious little gifts & time for your heart's favorite things.

No comments: