Sunday, August 9, 2009

Art Camping

"Ruffled Feathers," ink on wood, 2.5 x 3 "
Judith, June 09

Quite a number of years ago now I went wilderness camping with a group of women artists: Leigh Hyams, Lyn Haxton, and Medora Bass in the High Sierras of California. It was glorious, just painting & exploring nature all day long. Ever since then I try to get away to create whenever I can. I went for four days last weekend (hence no blog). It had been four years since my last creative retreat ~ far too long! Needless to say, I got so inspired just by living directly in nature with a pair of hummingbirds visiting me severl times a day humming their hummingbird song. The chamisa was just beginning to bloom. And, I could stand on the rim of the Gorge and watch the tiny ribbon of the Rio Grande wend its way far, far below. I did get a lot done on the revision of my novel plus some spot drawings & paintings & a painting. Sunsets, in particular, captured my fancy. Perhaps that's because they set over the rim of the Gorge with the first of the evening's coyotes howling to the nearly full moon and to one another.
I wish for you to have at least one day of such a creative retreat for yourself this week!

No comments: