Sunday, August 16, 2009

Miracles and Dancing Elephants


from my art Journal this week!

This week our illustrators group from SCBWI (Society of Children's Writer's & Illustrators) went into the wilds of northern New Mexico to visit Jenny Sue Kostecki-Shaws' studio, meet her new baby Tulsi, chat over potluck with pesto carrots, drink her yummy Chai, & watch her work on her next picture book. See her website at http://www.dancingelephantstudio.com/ It was a wonderous, imaginative, miraculous experience for me. To be honest I was throwing in the towel about ever doing picture books again. I have worked diligently this past year on my novel & doing my fine art. That coupled with a devastating critique a year & half ago, I thought, O.K. I'll just put my passion elsewhere. But my great illustrator's group & Jenny's example have given me back the miracle about my passion for picture books., their history, and their evolving nature and good for young children. Maybe, I'll put my beloved Henri Rousseau book out into the slipstream of publishers again. Dare I? Yes! I hope that this week will bring you a creative miracle or synchronicity!

No comments: