Sunday, September 6, 2009

Autumn Anticipation


"On A Telephone Pole," Acrylic on canvas
4" x 6 " Judith August 2009

I won't have a long weekend, so yesterday I acted as if it were Labor Day and moodled around my house and garden, getting out sewing projects for Christmas presents, reading a mystery, and puttering in the kitchen. Oh, yes, I did paint on my latest painting. Just try to keep me out of the studio! About this time every year, I get into my "what do I make for the holidays & create over the winter mode?" The good thing is by this thinking ahead I minimize the "holiday mad rush." But, more importantly I re-remember that by "goofing off" it opens that creative door even wider, so that more ideas can rush in. For instance my studio gets down to freezing in the winter & takes 2 - 3 hours to warm up, so the idea that dashed in was to do my smaller works and my anticipated encaustic experiments in the kitchen this winter! Brilliant!
Before I discovered that I am an artist and writer, my creative outlets were cooking, sewing, and woodworking. So, it sometimes helps to fall back into these in order to dash ahead into my higher creative work.
What is it that you can fall into in order to bring up that deep well of wondrous creativity? Hope you can have time to do that this week. Happy Labor Day!

No comments: