Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Christmas Cactus as Art Metaphor

Christmas Cactus with
Snow Storm outside
Dec 09 by Judith

Every year my Christmas Cactus blooms well, and every year it grows bigger. I wonder if it will ever grow as large as the one in a neighbor's window in London. Hers was the size of a small bush and it made the winter doldrums glow. Sometimes too we have to wait the proverbial "year" (a long time) for our creative ideas to grow and blossom. And, if you're like me I have much more patience with my cacti than my paintings or my novel. I guess it's due to the concept, that is I conceive of an idea, but then to execute it can take grueling weeks, days, months, years even. And that's o.k. because in the end one has a finished project that is as perfect as it can be. The huge cactus in London must have taken her years to grow with a lot of tender loving care. Have a great creative week!

No comments: