Tuesday, November 3, 2009

When There Are More Questions Than Answers


"Misty Meadow," ink on paper
4x6", '09 by Judith

There's a book being passed around among a few of us at the book shop, Translate This Darkness, The Life of Christiana Morgan, The Veiled Woman in Jung's Circle, by Claire Douglas, Princeton Univ. Press, 1993. It's in my hands now & is creating a stir within me, questioning where I am in life. Christiana was the same age as my grandmothers. Yet, in spite of "the subtle footbinding of her talents" by her family and society, she paved the way for women to become more, just like her contemporary Georgia O'Keefe in art. Yet, she could only break-out so far, and only with the help of others. I wonder how far my generation has really come in spite of women's lib? I'm not sure. I was never a strident feminist, yet I'm glad I can be more than my generation dictated, which wasn't much at all. And, where do we go from here? I don't have what it takes to act like a man, like women lawyers & politicians seem to have to do. How can one stay a sensitive, creative woman in this world & yet make her mark? That goes for all the sensitive, creative men too by the way. I suspect we each have to create our own unique self and hope it takes us as far as we dream. I'll let you know if I ever have an answer. In the meantime, create and develop your talents each day, without fail, especially in the middle of broad existential doubts and questionings!
It is Indian Summer here in Taos after last week's snow! Gorgeous and inspiring.
Be inspired!




No comments: